Financial Adviser, in partnership with Enterprise Finance, have published results of a survey of their readers, looking at mortgage brokers’ views of the specialist lending market.
Conducted in late July and early August, taking into account the disruption following the Brexit vote, the survey revealed the opportunities, trends and challenges around specialist mortgage lending.
The survey explored readers’ experiences and beliefs about the role of specialist lending, business opportunities there and the need for advisers to learn more. It also examined broker observations on technical dimensions such as maximum age and LTVs, and adverse credit lending.
Some highlights of their findings included:
- Around 40% respondents said they believe specialist mortgages offer a new business opportunity for them
- 34% think that clients with specialist mortgage lending require more advice and guidance – which supports the role of a broker over consumers going direct to a lender
- 52% believe that more education and training is required around complex BTL
- Only 9.4% think that specialist lending is straightforward
If you missed the report in print, you can now download it in full from our website as a PDF.
We hope you’ll find the Special Report interesting and in particular the importance brokers are putting on learning more about specialist lending. To help with that, we have developed 3 introductory video guides for brokers, covering:
1. Complex Buy-to-Let Mortgages
2. Second Charge Mortgages
3. Bridging Loans